Thursday, January 21, 2010


I have an absolute passion for intaglio thanks to Dave Williams at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff.  He is absolutely amazing & truly inspiring. 

This intaglio/aquatint is of a snake charmer in Africa.  My dad is a photographer and this print was created from one of his photos.  The gentleman depicted invited my dad for tea after...and as my dad said, "How can you turn down tea with a man who charms black cobras?"  Unfortunately, there were...errrr...consequences from drinking the untreated water.  He still said it was worth it.

Anyways, the man and snake are true to the original photograph.  I embellished the image with the foliage, sky, plane and border.  I always like to add more and have a hard time limiting myself.  Maybe this is why intaglio is so appealing, you can always add more lines, stop out sections so they don't etch too deep and become too dark. There are so many layers to a print you don't even realize are there.  It is a true art that deserves a deep appreciation.

You may view this print on my etsy site.

No comments:

Post a Comment